Monday, January 11, 2010

008


Day 93 of the college game.

As you might infer, I did, in fact, endure the two plane rides. And not only did I survive two plane trips, but also three MAX Streetcar rides, a unforgettable voyage across the Vancouver-Portland bridge, 5 Burgerville stops, a delicious encounter with fried Portabello mushroom strips (in the place of french fries) and numerous district-to-district escapades.

In short, the trip itself was well worth the innumerable days of pre-plane concern
Well, almost…

On another note: I insist that you stop whatever your doing as you read this blog, cue up another browser window, and Google Inn @ Northrup Station, which I can now confirm as the 2nd best hotel I’ve ever stayed in. (With The Four Seasons’ in Thousand Oaks, CA, coming in First Place.)

As for college-touring, my family and I visited Warner Pacific early Wednesday morning, followed by Corban Wednesday afternoon, and Concordia for an all-day event on Thursday.

As promised, here are my honest ratings (out of 10, of course) complete with pros and cons:

Warner Pacific
Rating: 7.3
Pros: It’s a small school. Easy to make relationships.
Cons: It’s a small school. Easy to know everything about everyone…


Corban
Rating: 8.9
Pros: The Baylo (?) dorms have kitchens, Jacuzzis, and laundry rooms on every floor, and the campus is gorgeous as well! (Plus: There’s a prayer chapel!)
Cons: A little too far. It’s in Salem, which is an hour away from beautiful, dreamy Portland. :(


Concordia
Rating: 9.01
Pros: The people are super nice! (I had coffee with one of the Juniors, Kelsey, who was a Psych major. She totally convinced me!) Also - Art/Music classes are required to graduate! Loveeee it.
Cons: Chapel isn’t mandatory… They aren’t quite as faith-based as I’d like them to be. Also, 7 to 8 miles north, the area’s a little sketchy. Yeah…


And this brings us to now: “The Decision”.
Who will it be? The obvious choice or the underdog? The bigger school or the smaller? The kitchen-jacuzzi dorm combo or the suites?

Stay Tuned, compadres!

No comments:

Post a Comment